Weir Farm National Historic Site, a National Park for the Arts was designated by Congress in 1990. The park is the only unit in the National Park Service dedicated to American Impressionism and one of the finest remaining landscapes associated with this genre of art from the late 1800's into the 1900's. The park welcomes approximately 40,000 visitors a year and focuses on connecting people of all ages to art, nature and historic preservation. The park is named for Julian Alden Weir, America’s most beloved Impressionist, and he and his family lived at Weir Farm seasonally from 1882 to 1919. Many art colleagues visited him here and painted numerous masterpieces of the rocky landscape and farm buildings. Followed by his daughter, artist Dorothy Weir Young and her husband, the acclaimed sculptor Mahonri Mackintosh Young, the artistic tradition continued into the late 1950's. In 1958 landscape painters Sperry and Doris Andrews bought part of the farm and ultimately protected it from developers making it a national story of historic preservation for the American public.